Head of Unit: Željka Košutić, MD, Psychiatry Spec.
Unit for the Protection of Children against Abuse and Neglect has been founded in 2002. Its basic activities are reporting and registration of abused and neglected children and adolescents under the age of 18 within the Institute of Mental Health, counseling role in the IMH employees’ work with abused and neglected children, cooperation with centers for social work and other authorized institutions in registered cases of child abuse and neglect, educational role and research work.
Employees engaged in activities of the Unit (based on the Protocol for the Protection of Children against Abuse and Neglect – Expert Team) are:
• Assist. Prof Milica Pejović-Milovančević , Child Psychiatry Spec., MD, Ph.D.
• Oliver Vidojević, Psychiatry Spec, MD
• Clinical Assist. Marija Mitković-Vončina, Psychiatry Spec, MD, mr sci
• Dušanka Kalanj, social worker
• Teodora Minčić, Medical Psychology Spec.
• Assist. Prof. Jelena Radosavljev Kirćanski, Medical Psychology Spec. Ph.D.
• Snežana Stojanović, social worker
• Mina Milosavljevic, Spec. of social rahabilitation and social work
• Tomislav Čumić, medical technician
Coordinator of the Cabinet: dr Željka Košutić, Psychiatry Spec.
Procedure in case of suspected child abuse or neglect within the Institute of Mental Health
• Provide medical care and treatment of the child’s injuries/illnesses
• Consult with the Expert Team trained for protection against abuse and neglect
• Assess the risk of child abuse and neglect together with the Expert Team
• Document the child’s condition
Reporting suspected child abuse within the Institute of Mental Health implies:
• contact person – social workers Dušanka Kalanj and Snežana Stojanović
• reporting to the Expert Team, every Friday at 9:00h, at the Department of Specialist-Consultant Examinations of the Child and Adolescent Clinic; the health care worker reporting the suspicion is required to be present, and later on, to participate in the implementation and monitoring of the child protection procedure
Visit to Zagreb
On the 29th and 30th of October this year, members of the Unit for the protection of children against abuse and neglect, as well as other colleagues involved in the activities related to the protection of children have visited the Clinic for Child Protection of Zagreb and Psychiatric Hospital for the Protection of Children and Youth in Zagreb, Croatia.
Clinic for Child Protection of Zagreb is dealing with abused and traumatized children, and the work of Clinic was presented to us by members of its multidisciplinary team headed by director Professor Dr Gordana Buljan Flander.
During the visit to the Psychiatric Hospital for the Protection of Children and Youth, we were introduced with the organization of health care system for children and adolescents in Croatia, presented by director Assistant Professor Dr Vlatka Boričević Maršanić and other members of the team.
Experiences were exchanged in the field of health care for children and adolescents in the two countries, as well as opportunities for future cooperation. At this meeting collaboration was agreed between experts in the field of mental health of children and adolescents, as well as further possibilities for exchanging experiences in international meetings. Colleagues made for us warmly welcome and to the mutual satisfaction visit was conducted in a friendly atmosphere. It was agreed that next year the Institute be a host for our colleagues from Zagreb.